My Make Up Brush Collection | Lost In Lipstick | A Beauty & Lifestyle Blog: My Make Up Brush Collection

Sunday 11 August 2013

My Make Up Brush Collection

I love finding out which make up brushes other people use plus what they use it for. For example, I don't use my foundation brush for foundation. I recently had a clear out and got rid of a few brushes that I no longer used and I had had them a long time. These are the brushes that made the cut and most of them I use on a daily basis. I will explain what I use each brush for as well as a little mini review of the brush. I have already reviewed all the Real Techniques brushes on my blog.




Left to right: Ruby & Millie Foundation Brush, Eco Tools Bamboo Bronzer Brush, Real Techniques Powder Brush, Real Techniques Expert Face Brush, Real Techniques Blush Brush, Real Techniques Foundation Brush


Left to right: Real Techniques Foundation Brush, Real Techniques Setting Brush, Real Techniques Lash and Brow Groomer, Real Techniques Starter Set (Deluxe Crease Brush, Base Shadow Brush, Brow Brush, Accent Brush, Pixel Point Eyeliner Brush), Bobbi Brown Ultra Fine Eyeliner Brush

Real Techniques brushes are colour coordinated depending on which step of make up application they are used for; base, eyes or finish. Most of my brushes are by Real Techniques, which just shows how much I love the brushes! I have grouped my brushes into the three categories just to help discuss them better and I can use the pictures to break up the text. I have individually reviewed all of the Real Techniques brushes I own and I have linked the reviews below, just click on the name of the brush and it will take you to that review. My Real Techniques brushes are used the most and some I have had almost a year. I use them on a daily basis and wash them almost every week (some weeks I forget!) They still look and feel like they are brand new. Which is amazing and just shows what great quality they are. 


Base Brushes

Ruby & Millie Foundation Brush - Ruby & Millie has been discontinued now. I bought this brush a few years ago, I actually think it was in the sale because they were being discontinued and that's what made me buy it. I don't use this brush on a daily basis, to be honest, I don't use it very often. I kept it though to use as a backup just in case I haven't had chance to clean my brushes and they're too dirty. Recently, I have started to use the end of this brush just to get product out of the Lush Colour Supplement tubs. I really like the product but after you've used half it's just so hard to get it out! 

Real Techniques Expert Face Brush - This is possibly my favourite brush in my whole collection and it's actually my most viewed post! I use this every single day to apply my foundation. I use liquid foundation and it does an amazing job of creating a beautiful base. (The brush is recommended for cream or liquid foundation.) As the bristles are dense, it picks up more product which helps to create a heavier coverage, which is what I need! The brush makes applying foundation a dream and it is easy to blend, leaving a smooth surface ready for the rest of my make up routine. 

Real Techniques Foundation Brush - Along with the Powder Brush, this was my first experience of Real Techniques brushes that I bought way back in September. At first, I used this for my foundation and concealer but as I mentioned in my review, I am not too keen on using it as a foundation brush. As the brush is angled, it does a fantastic job of getting in those hard to reach areas such as around the nose and under the eyes. I use this brush to blend my concealer and it does a much better job than applying foundation. 

Real Techniques Powder Brush - This is another brush that I use on a daily basis. I just it to apply powder all over my face to set my make up and also to create a matte look as that's what I like. I also use it to dust bronzer lightly all over my face when I want a bit of colour. It's a great brush that picks up just enough product and as it's so big, it takes no time at all to powder my face. 

Eco Tools Bamboo Bronzer Brush - This is my back up powder/bronzer brush for emergencies. It feels beautiful and it's soft but I much prefer the Real Techniques Powder Brush as I feel this one hardly picks up any product and it takes a long time to apply make up with it. I've had this brush for quite a few years now, my mum and dad got it for my birthday. I think my mum had had enough of me using cheap brushes! Thanks mum.



Finish Brushes

Real Techniques Blush Brush - I use this brush everyday to apply blusher and bronzer. Sometimes I think it is on the larger size but I do love it. It picks up enough product and if you have too much, it's easy to just tap the excess off. The bristles are so soft and in a perfect shape to apply blusher/highlight to the areas you want it and also for apply bronzer to the contours of your cheeks, your forehead and any other area you want to contour.

Real Techniques Setting Brush - I use the brush to apply powder under my eyes to set concealer. I know a lot of people use it to apply concealer but I have my chosen brush for that. Sometimes, I use the brush to apply highlight to my brow bones and down my nose as the blush brush is just too big for those areas. I have also been known to use the brush to apply eyeshadow all over my eyelid if I'm in a rush! 


Eye Brushes

Real Techniques Lash and Brow Groomer - This is an essential brush for me that I use everyday, sometimes twice a day. As I have mentioned before, I have extremely wild and unruly brows. They need their very own brush just to tame them and help persuade them to stay in place (with a little help from brow gel). The lash comb is used occasionally as some days my eyelashes just do not behave. Even though I usually use the same mascara everyday, there's just the odd occasion when they will not do what I want them to do. This comb is perfect for separating lashes and providing a little bit more definition.

Deluxe Crease Brush (Part of the Real Techniques Starter Set) - Along with the Base Shadow Brush, these are the two brushes I use to apply my eyeshadow everyday. I'm not an eyeshadow expert so using as few brushes as I can, doesn't complicate the situation. I use this brush to apply a darker colour to my eyelids or sometimes I use the Base Shadow Brush for both colours and I will use this one to blend. The brush is a great size and shape and allows you to get right into the contours of your eye lid. The bristles are densely packed so there is the maximum application of colour.

Base Shadow Brush (Part of the Real Techniques Starter Set) - I use this brush to apply colour all over my lids and I will sometimes use it to apply a darker colour as well. To be honest, it all depends on how I feel on the day! Sometimes I use this brush to apply highlight to my brow bone and inner corners of my eye. I have only used it to apply powder shadows but I think you can use it to apply cream shadows as well. I find the brush picks up just enough product, which means I don't experience any fall out, even with drugstore brands. 

Brow Brush (Part of the Real Techniques Starter Set) - This is a great brush as it is angled. It makes filling in your brows effortless. There's not much I can say about this brush other than it does a great job at filling in my brows! I don't use this everyday and some days, I don't think my eyebrows need filling in. It all depends on the occasion and where I'm going. My eyebrows are quite a bit darker than my hair colour so they already stand out enough! Plus they are quite full and bushy, oh I hate my brows! 

Accent Brush (Part of the Real Techniques Starter Set) - This brush is used occasionally when I fancy doing a bit more of a smokey eye. As I said, I'm not an eyeshadow expert so I just try and copy what I have seen others do and try make it work for myself. I will become better at eyeshadow, I just need to keep practising!

Pixel Point Eyeliner Brush (Part of the Real Techniques Starter Set) - This is my least used brush from the Starter Set and it's not because I don't like it or because it's rubbish, it's because I cannot apply eyeliner to my lashline! I can't comment on the quality of the brush as I really haven't used it enough to know. I will one day and I will be back with an opinion! 

Bobbi Brown Ultra Fine Eyeliner Brush - I bought this brush about two years ago. My sister was getting married and we both went along for a makeover so we could learn how to do our own make up on the day. I picked up this brush along with the Long Wear Gel Eyeliner. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I have used this brush. I'm just rubbish at applying eyeliner. My sister actually did it for me on her wedding day! She says the brush is amazing and she wants it for herself! I will learn how to do it one day. My hands are just really shaky so I can't apply a smooth, straight line!

What are your favourite make up brushes? Are any of these brushes on your wishlist?

Rachel x
Lost In Lipstick

Facebook // Twitter // Bloglovin' // Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog, it means so much to me :) I read every comment and they make me smile. I will try and reply to each and every one. Rachel x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...