National Calvados Week 2015 | Lost In Lipstick | A Beauty & Lifestyle Blog: National Calvados Week 2015

Tuesday 22 September 2015

National Calvados Week 2015

At the beginning of September, I was invited along to The Blue Pig in the Northern Quarter, Manchester. The event was a preview of National Calvados Week, which is a celebration of the annual apple harvest, held in Normandy, France. National Calvados Week runs from 18th to 24th October 2015. Père Magloire is hosting National Calvados Week in the UK and there will be bars taking part in London, Manchester, Edinburgh and Liverpool. During National Calvados week over 100 bars, shops, supermarkets and independent off licenses including The Blue Pig, Almost Famous, Mr Coopers, Wine Rack and Corks Out who will have special cocktail menus, Père Magloire Calvados range tasting, food pairing and cooking with Calvados in their most succulent dishes.


On arrival, we were greeted with an Applejack - a simple cocktail made from Père Magloire V.S.O.P and cloudy apple juice. We were introduced to Dave Marsland from Emporia Brands (Drinks Enthusiast) who ran a masterclass on Calvados. Calvados is distilled from cider and protected by the Appellation Calvados Contrôlée. Père Magloire is part of French national heritage. The firm is the oldest and best known of all the Calvados producers. The history of Père Magloire began in 1821 and was one of the first French trademarks to be registered! 

Paul Coony, the Head Chef at The Blue Pig created a menu to complement Père Magloire. To start we had Brie tarts with apple and Père Magloire chutney paired with Calvados Père Magloire FINE V.S. It was possibly the nicest starter I have ever had! We couldn't help but go back for more! The chutney was to die for and Paul gave us a little jar at the end to take home. Thank you Paul! If I wasn't already converted, I would go to The Blue Pig during National Calvados Week hoping it was on the menu!

As a main, we had Père Magloire marinated sticky pork ribs paired with Calvados Père Magloire V.S.O.P. They were also delicious - Paul is a talented chef! From the range of Père Magloire Calvados we tried that night, V.S.O.P. was my favourite so I was extremely happy to find a small bottle in our goody bag!

Dessert was Père Magloire, dark chocolate and hazelnut truffles paired with Calvados Père Magloire 12 Year Old. I love truffles but unfortunately I don't like dark chocolate so I found these too bitter but the texture was lovely. My sister and mum were fans!

To end the evening, we had a signature Père Magloire Calvados cocktail - Pomme par Jour. I have the recipe if you wanted to recreate at home;
  • 35ml Père Magloire V.S.O.P.
  • 20ml Triple Sec
  • 20ml Lemon juice
  • Dash water
  • Muddled apple
I had a fantastic evening with incredible food and drinks. Thank you Père Magloire! You have a new fan of your Calvados!

Don't forget to head to The Blue Pig, Mr Coopers House and Garden,  Fumo, Astons of Manchester or Almost Famous during National Calvados Week which is 18th to 24th October 2015. If you're not from Manchester or would like more information, visit http://www.nationalcalvadosweek.com/

Rachel x

Follow me on Twitter // Like me on Facebook // Follow me on Bloglovin' // Follow me on Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog, it means so much to me :) I read every comment and they make me smile. I will try and reply to each and every one. Rachel x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...